Rules & Terms
You do not need to be a Filmpool member to submit to the Saskatchewan Independent Film Awards. Any Saskatchewan resident can submit for the $30 USD submission fee. However, if you believe a membership may be valuable to you and would like free submission, please contact email@example.com or call (306) 757-8818 to sign up for a Basic or Full membership and get your submission waiver code.
All submissions must include:
- a short synopsis
- an image still from the film
- a short bio of the filmmaker
- a screening quality video file or downloadable link
- feature film & web series submissions must also include a trailer
- due to limitations of the filmfreeway platform, web series submissions must submit a single episode as their submission. Links to 2 additional episodes must be included for the jury to make proper consideration of the series as a whole.
• The Saskatchewan Independent Film Awards are open to all Saskatchewan residents living in the province for one year or longer, and Filmpool Members living outside of the province who have held membership for at least one year.
• Jury preference will be given to independent productions that reflect the Filmpool's mandate.
• The term “Independent” is defined as a film in which the filmmaker retains 100% creative control.
• Short films submitted must not exceed 15 minutes.
• Feature films submitted must exceed 50 minutes.
• Films must have been completed in the past two years and not have been submitted to the previous SIFA Screenings.
• Submissions of all types will be considered for all categories (ie. documentary, narrative, experimental, animation, etc.).
• Feature Film & Web Series category submissions are not eligible for the Audience Choice award.
• No refunds will be given for submitted films that do not meet eligibility requirements.
Saskatchewan Filmpool Cooperative production members should contact the Filmpool for discounted submission rates, before submitting their film: firstname.lastname@example.org
**For more information about membership, please check out http://www.filmpool.ca/membership/
By submitting, the filmmaker warrants that they are the rightful owner of the submission and do not violate or infringe on any trademark, trade name, copyright, literary, dramatic, musical, artistic or other intellectual property or personal rights.
Nominated films will be chosen by the Screening Jury. Only entrants whose films have been selected for screenings will be notified.
By submitting your film, you agree to allow the Filmpool and its Affiliates to screen your film as well as use your footage and stills in promotional material for the Filmpool and SIFA screening.
All submitted films may also be considered for future Filmpool screenings.
All SIFA awards will be given at the discretion of the Festival Committee based on submissions received.
Awards & Prizes
Best Short Film
To qualify for this category, films must not exceed 15 minutes. The winner of this award will receive a $250 cash prize, along with their name on the Best Short Film SIFA trophy, and their own individual-sized trophy.
Best Student Film
To qualify for this category, the filmmaker must be enrolled in secondary or post-secondary schooling, or have created their film within the last two years while being enrolled in secondary or post-secondary schooling. The winner of this award will receive a $100 cash price, and their own individual-sized trophy.
Best Feature Film
To qualify for this category, films must be over 50 minutes. The winner of this award will receive a $250 cash prize, and their own individual-sized trophy.
Best web series
To qualify for this category, 3 episodes of a longer series must be submitted. Please see Rules & Terms above for submission details. The winner of this award will receive a $250 cash prize, and their own individual-sized trophy.
This award will be given to an outstanding performance by a male or female actor in a submitted film. The winner of this award will receive a $100 cash prize, and their own individual-sized trophy.
Best Technical Achievement
This award will recognize achievement in the technical aspects of a nominated film, including cinematography, sound design, and post-production. The winner of this award will receive a $100 cash prize, and their own individual-sized trophy.
Text in your vote! Each film will be assigned a text code, and during a specific voting period, audience members will be asked to vote for their favourite nominated film. The winner of this award will receive a $100 cash prize, and their own individual-sized trophy.